Friday, July 31, 2009

Finally a little bit of good news

I went back to the doctor for yet another blood test on Wednesday to check that my estradiol level was low enough. The nurse called me later that afternoon to tell me that it still wasn't down as low as they wanted it to be, but to come in the next morning for an ultrasound. She said the doctor will often choose to go ahead with the stimulation drug if the ultrasound shows that the ovaries are not producing follicles on their own. So I went in yesterday for the ultrasound and the doctor told me that everything looks good to go ahead and get started. I finally learned that they want the estradiol level to be less than 40; mine was still at 100. However, the doctor said that a lot of times, no matter how long you use the Lupron, the level just won't go any lower. He said that 100 was probably the lowest I would be able to go. So he gave me the go ahead to start the Follistim tonight. He lowered the original doses that he told me, and also gave me instructions to continue the Lupron until I come in again on Tuesday for another blood test and ultrasound.

I'm not overly excited about giving myself two shots every day, but it's better than not being able to do the Follistim at all. I'm ready to get this show on the road! I'm slightly less stressed about this whole procedure now that we're starting Follistim. We are as close as we can be to our vacation without having to cancel part of it, and not out of the woods yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment