Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Part one done

Yesterday was our retrieval procedure. I wasn't nervous about the procedure itself; just about the results and outcomes. We went in at 6:45 am and they put me in a hospital gown and started my IV. They took me back around 7:30 and the whole procedure was finished before 8. I spent an hour in recovery and then they let me go home. While we were in recovery, the doctor came in to let us know that 6 of the follicles were mature enough to try to fertilize. The others were too small and immature. I spent the rest of the day alternately sleeping off the anesthesia, praying for good news, and worrying that we would get very few embryos. They had told us in the very beginning that typically only 50% of the follicles are successfully fertilized, which would mean that we would have 3 embryos. I tried to put the pessimistic thoughts out of my mind and hope for the best.

One of the nurses called me this morning and told me that we have 4 embryos! They were able to ICSI 5 of the follicles, and 4 of them made it. That sounds like good news to me!! So we go back sometime Friday to have two of them re-implanted and the other two will be frozen (hopefully for siblings for the first set). Continuing to think baby thoughts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment